Signs of flu and colds are very similar. What do these diseases have in common and how can we distinguish them? What is the difference between flu and cold?
Learn how to distinguish the symptoms of the disease from the flu and Severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) and what to do with the first signs of a cold.
Cold or Flu Symptom Checker
- One of the first and main differences – the common cold and the flu are caused by different viruses (influenza virus, parainfluenza virus, adeno virus infections, rhinovirus infections, etc.);
- The flu occurs sharply and is always acute. As a rule, a person can say even an hour when he fell ill. And ARVI manifests itself gradually, increasing with every passing day;
- The cold is characterized by a slight increase in body temperature (rarely above 38.5 ° C). The sudden occurrence of temperature for several hours to 39-40 ° C and its persistence for 3-4 days is inherent in influenza.
- The flu causes an ache throughout the body, chills, sweating, severe headache, eyesight, and photophobia. In ARVI, there is also a weakness, but without pronounced pain.
- A strong cold often accompanies mucus. With the flu, as a rule, it does not happen;
- Flu is often accompanied by a cough and pain behind the chest bone. On the 2nd day of the cold, cough is mild.
- Influenza is characterized by the emergence of epidemics that cover a significant part of the population. This disease is more severe, more frequent complications and can result in death.
How to avoid flu and colds
- Wash your hands with antibacterial soap, especially after a street;
- Have a rest. Lack of sleep adversely affects the immune system, making it vulnerable to influenza viruses and colds.
- Regularly clean the house and do a wet cleaning;
- Eat vitamins. It’s better if you get them from natural seasonal products;
- Eat more citrus fruits to maintain immunity;
- Lead an active lifestyle.
Also Read: 8 Ways To Get Rid Of A Cold Naturally